Wednesday, April 09, 2008

St John's - Fourth Night

Tonight everyone worked late, so I wandered over to the house around eight o'clock with my groceries. I hadn't been to the Outer Battery on my own yet, nor in twilight. The light was lovely, and the sky was my favourite shade of blue, deepening slowly to darkness. It's warmer tonight, just warm enough to smell the sea, and the sound of snowmelt rushing down the cliffs fills the night.



The Professor had a line on some halibut for dinner, and pulled the fish out of the fridge to oohs and ahs of appreciation from the rest of us. It was quite the most enormous piece of fish I have ever seen.



The Italian was in charge of fish prep. He poked slivers of garlic and ginger into the flesh, before dredging it in more garlic and ginger, as well as shallots, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and Marsala wine. Then he massaged it.



Here he is, ready to pop his masterpiece in the oven:



And here are the three collaborators enjoying a well-earned pre-dinner drink:



My Man was on risotto detail, so we had a delicious saffrony pseudo-milanese risotto, with a few mussels steamed open on top at the last minute.



My contribution was a herb salad with shallots and pears in a lemony vinaigrette. But I forgot to take a picture of it! Suffice to say, it was all very good to eat!

No comments: